The St. Thomas’ cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in the county with memorials dating back to the early 1700’s. The cemetery covers roughly 12 acres and is an integral component of the campus, intertwining with a number of the buildings on the site.
A storage vault located at the west end of the property was restored in the mid 1990’s. The vault was used a storage facility for future interments during the winter months when the ground was impenetrable to hand excavation with a pick and shovel. The cemetery provides the final resting place for over 3000 souls all from various stations in life and with some tie to the Saint Thomas community. Senators, Governors, doctors, soldiers, entrepreneurs, ministers and a multitude of “regular folk” are interred on this sacred hill.
The cemetery is utilized to this day for interments and many plots and individual graves sites are available for purchase. A beautiful Memorial Garden sits adjacent to the south façade of the church building and is available for renewable interment of ashes. A Peace Garden is also located on the south side of the church building and it provides a respite for visitors to enjoy.
Our Business Administrator, Facilities staff, church volunteers with support and oversight from our Cemetery and Grounds Committee maintain the cemetery throughout the year. Information on the purchase of lots and a more in depth history of the cemetery can be obtained from the church office. (215-233-3970 x111)